Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Life is short

I am a fire/medic and my dept. was dispatched on an unknown type of explosion a few weeks back. One man was killed and one was burnt badly. They were working on a brine truck tank when it exploded. A brine truck hauls saltwater from oil wells.
I was instrumental in the care of the burn victim. He was put on a med-flight helicopter and flown to a burn center in Columbus Ohio.
He lived in critical condition since the accident. I read in the paper today that he has died.
I guess we can't save them all.
Sometimes, in emergency medicine, we are called miracle workers. But we are not. It is ultimately in Gods hands. When he decides it is time to call you home, you need to be ready to go. God has given us the knowledge to care for the sick and injured but that knowledge only goes so far. God is still in control.
On most emergency runs we go on, while enroute to the scene, I Pray for the knowledge to help those in need. I did everything I could for this victim, I am sure the doctors at the burn center did what God would allow them to do. It was this man's time to go be with his maker. I hope he knew God as his personal savior and was ready.
I now Pray for the families of both victims in the explosion. They have to go on and live with the loss. I hope they know God and are ready as well. Tomorrow may be their day to go be with the Lord.

No comments: